2210 — Information Technology Management Series***
This series covers two-grade interval administrative positions that manage, supervise, lead, administer, develop, deliver, and support information technology (IT) systems and services. This series covers only those positions for which the paramount requirement is knowledge of IT principles, concepts, and methods; e.g., data storage, software applications, networking. Information technology refers to systems and services used in the automated acquisition, storage, manipulation, management, movement, control, display, switching, interchange, transmission, assurance, or reception of information. Information technology includes computers, network components, peripheral equipment, software, firmware, services, and related resources.
This series covers, but is not limited to, the following specialties:
- Policy and Planning – Work that involves a wide range of IT management activities that typically extend and apply to an entire organization or major components of an organization. This includes strategic planning, capital planning and investment control, workforce planning, policy and standards development, resource management, knowledge management, architecture and infrastructure planning and management, auditing, and information security management.
- Enterprise Architecture – Work that involves the analysis, planning, design, implementation, documentation, assessment, and management of the enterprise structural framework to align IT strategy, plans, and systems with the mission, goals, structure, and processes of the organization.
- Security – Work that involves ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems, networks, and data through the planning, analysis, development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of information systems security programs, policies, procedures, and tools.
- Systems Analysis – Work that involves applying analytical processes to the planning, design, and implementation of new and improved information systems to meet the business requirements of customer organizations.
- Applications Software – Work that involves the design, documentation, development, modification, testing, installation, implementation, and support of new or existing applications software.
- Operating Systems – Work that involves the planning, installation, configuration, testing, implementation, and management of the systems environment in support of the organization’s IT architecture and business needs.
- Network Services – Work that involves the planning, analysis, design, development, testing, quality assurance, configuration, installation, implementation, integration, maintenance, and/or management of networked systems used for the transmission of information in voice, data, and/or video formats.
- Data Management – Work that involves the planning, development, implementation, and administration of systems for the acquisition, storage, and retrieval of data.
- Internet – Work that involves the technical planning, design, development, testing, implementation, and management of Internet, intranet, and extranet activities, including systems/applications development and technical management of Web sites. This specialty only includes positions requiring the application of technical knowledge of Internet systems, services, and technologies.
- Systems Administration – Work that involves planning and coordinating the installation, testing, operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of hardware and software systems.
- Customer Support – Work that involves the planning and delivery of customer support services, including installation, configuration, troubleshooting, customer assistance, and/or training, in response to customer requirements.